Thursday, May 26, 2011

Honduras

Okay so hopefully this works. The iPhone doesn't want to work with certain websites so we'll see how this goes.

Honduras has been insane! It's Thursday and I'm coming home on Monday already, although in some ways that can't come fast enough.

Things I loved about Chapernal:

- I made friends not only with kids this time but also a lot of young men and a few young women, and many older women as well when I cooked with them. Some favourites were Donaldo, who was always around to find mangoes and teach me Spanish words, Norma, who told me she wanted me to marry her brother, Julio, our 53 year old neighbour who was just precious, and Tullio, who always beat me in straight face contests.

- it was dry hot. We had no awesome river or waterfall like the other group but we also didn't suffocate in the humidity.

- visiting the water source as they were building the dam

- visiting Chapernal on one of the last days (technically our house was in Pie de la Cuesta, one of three communities - the others being Chapernal and Boca del Monte. Collectively they are referred to as Chapernal). Chapernal was in the middle and much more central so it was so fun to visit there and see some of the houses.

- we would always hang out after church services and play games, which was always really fun an super chill. It was one of the few times we never felt awkward because of lack of verbal communication

But now that we're out of the community and travelling, I almost really wish I wasn't here. I'm anxious to get home and share about everything that's happened, and hear about everything that's been happening at home. I'm really looking forward to the next couple of years and part of me just wants to get started on them right now. I think I should try to enjoy here while I'm here though, since it's going to happen whether I enjoy myself or not.

I dislike Utila right now, because I don't like heat, humidity makes it a kajillion times worse, and I don't like being constantly drenched in sweat. I'm used to sweating because of hard work (and having a nice big shirt to soak it up and sleeves to wipe my face on) but I am not used to sitting quietly on my hostel deck doing nothing at all, and still dripping sweat onto the table or the floor. And wearing tube tops and bathing suits so there's nowhere for the sweat to go. This is unbelievable. I can't wait for nighttime - it's the only time I can do anything that involves expending energy.

We watched this last night: Christian the Lion

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Its so exciting to hear from you Allison!! I can't wait till your back to hear all the stories from your trip, and hopefully you'll have many pictures too. Enjoy the last bit of your trip because you'll know you will miss it when you are back, and yes it is hot there but be prepared for cold rainy weather when you get back, lol.

praying for your last few days there and for you to have a safe trip back.

See you soon!!

Michelle