Tuesday, February 15, 2011

165

Things learned in conversation with Paul and Wendell:
1) more books are more awesome than I realized
2) the brains of people who are blind from birth actually re-designate the function of the sections that deal with optical input (because they never receive any input). cause I wondered why somebody blind from birth would say they see nothing while somebody who becomes blind sees darkness.
3) brains are incredible
4) computers are also incredible
5) computers also have the potential to take over the world one day. It's not just a crazy sci-fi theory, something that could happen but in like a million years - the theory is that once computers reach the intelligence level of humans, they can function (and replicate) without human control/assistance. This of course stemmed from a discussion of the level of consciousness of a computer, which came about because of Watson the jeopardy computer - is it conscious??? What defines consciousness?
5) apparently there's a thought that eventually people will be able to hook up their brains to computers and essentially have access to everything in that computer's database and function as a computer. Paul, the psyc major/taking the Brain and Behaviour class confirmed that this is a real theory so it's not just the computer nuts living in their apartment who think so.
I love my friends.
I'm scared of computers.
Listening to: Hey Ocean!

No comments: