Thursday, February 18, 2010

lent

So, everybody seems to be giving up facebook for Lent. I think it's a good idea, and I wanted to join the facebook fast party. I realized, though, that too much of my communication is based around facebook these days. For example: When I was in high school, the only people I had on facebook were family (siblings, cousins), people in or who went to my highschool, and people from work. And to be honest, I didn`t need facebook to talk to them. In fact, I didn't even talk to most of them. NOW I'm in university. I have a whole bunch of new friends, all of whom I communicate with through facebook when I am home. Hardly anybody uses msn anymore these days and I know i don't have a lot of people's emails anymore. Nor do a I have a phone (another social necessity these days) so I don't have a stock of people's phone numbers. So if I don't want to cut off communication entirely between King's people (when I'm at home) and people at home (when I'm at school), I can't give it up. So rather than give it up entirely, I am going to instead limit the amount of time that i let myself spend on it. Now, I don't even know how much time I spend on it in a day. I do know that even when I'm not using it, half the time it's open in my web browser anyway, sitting there waiting for messages, notifications, and so on. Ridiculous. So I'm cutting that out entirely. If I'm not actively using it, it's not logged in at all. I'm also going to limit how much I actually use it, to maybe half an hour every day. This might in fact limit how long I am on my computer all day, period. I'm going to make sure that every time I close the window, I log out first, so that I have to actively log in next time I open it (this will hopefully make me more aware of how often I automatically click "facebook" in my top sites). Anyway, that's my plan. Before you folks all go "Hey, Lent is about fasting, you can't cheat and half-fast!"...just think how much it sucks to not talk to people for over a month. And I dont' have the option of phoning people up, all the time, what with long distance and all. And besides, I'm still giving up facebook, if not entirely. Just giving up most of the time I spend on it. And hopefully giving it to something more worthwhile, like family, friends, homework, reading, writing, sleeping, and all that good stuff. Good luck to all the rest of you who are giving it up!