Monday, November 16, 2009

focus

It's funny how little I know about prayer, yet in two days I'll be talking about it (however briefly) at 937 as if I know what I'm talking about. And the part that took the longest to get in there is one of my favourites: John 16:23 and 24 says, “In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.” Somebody might take that to mean that anything we ask for will be given to us. Like Larry in VeggieTales looking at the verse “With God, all things are possible,” (Matthew 19:26) and saying, “Oh great, cause I’ve always wanted to be a chicken! Do you think God would turn me into a chicken?” God can, but that doesn’t mean he will. God will always answer prayer, but it may be a “no,” or a “yes, but in time.” And I have yet to come up with a satisfactory conclusion for that thought... I've been sitting here working on this for days. No wonder prayer is constantly on my mind. But at this point I wonder sometimes if I'm not focusing too much on saying the words and forgetting the reason I do so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I wonder sometimes if I'm not focusing too much on saying the words and forgetting the reason I do so."

Smart thinkin'. Would it be too much for me to say "pray about it"? Maybe what you wrote is right and you're thinking too much about what you want to say as opposed to saying what God wants you to say.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

Haha! Not too much =P It's probably the best idea =)
Talking tonight. Yikes. Quite nervous.